Thursday, June 30, 2005

I like using outdated racial slurs in casual conversations to see how people react. I like to see how quickly someone's racism radar goes up.

Me:"Colored people are so graceful, don't you think?"
SomeoneElse: "What did you just say!?"/incredulous

Sometimes I just make the most horribly racist comment I can come up with, just to watch people squirm. I call them dirty Mexicans, or niggers or chinks or whatever, and just watch people try to deal with my politically incorrect statement.

Why do I do it?

Because in my opinion, most people, and especially most people in Utah (where I live), are closet racists. And it pisses me off. Sure, they won't say "nigger" or "wetback" or whatever, but everything else they do speaks far louder than that. I see it in the way blacks are treated at fancy department stores, or on college campuses (I'm not making this up at all, people really do look at them with fear or suspicion, I've seen it actually happen), or the vague complaints about undocumented workers taking our jobs, or the comments about a race which people make to compensate for the horrible feelings they actually harbor.

So I say the things that all these hypocritical bastards are thinking but are too socially conscientious to say. With them, it's all about what people think of you. For me, it's all about being honest and upfront and treating every person exactly for what he is: A PERSON. I don't go out and find minority groups and make friends with them just so I can feel like I'm not racist. And yet, at the same time, when a person of any other ethnicity interacts with me, I do my very best see right through the color of skin or whatever.

I don't know, maybe I have different views because of my experiences. I spent two years in Canada, and I spent more time with people from Africa and Cambodia and China and South America and literally dozens of other nations than with actual WASP Canadians. At the end of the day, there isn't a damn difference at all.

I just wish people would stop acting like there is any kind of difference; don't be racist, and don't try so hard to not be racist that you end up being racist anyway.

Anyway, all of you should read Flannery O'Connor's "Revelation" RIGHT NOW. And then repent for being judgmental bastards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home